Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 18:55:01 +0200

Tehran, June 30, 2019 (AFP) - Iran will no longer require Chinese visitors to obtain visas, state media reported Sunday, as the sanctions-hit country attempts to boost tourism in the face of an economic crisis.   "The cabinet has agreed to waive visa requirements for Chinese nationals entering the Islamic Republic of Iran," state news agency IRNA said.   Tourism board chief Ali Asghar Mounesan told IRNA that "we aim to host two million Chinese tourists per year using our country's numerous attractions."   He said the sector is "unsanctionable" and could help offset the economic hardships caused by tough sanctions Washington reinstated after withdrawing from a multilateral nuclear deal last year.   The sanctions have particularly targeted Iran's vital oil exports and international financial transactions, and were a major factor in the country's ongoing recession.

According to IRNA, some 52,000 Chinese tourists visited Iran during the 12 months to March.   In another bid to boost tourist arrivals, Iran recently announced it would no longer stamp visitors' passports, allowing them to bypass a US entry ban on travellers who have visited the Islamic Republic.   China is one of the remaining partners in the nuclear deal and has rejected the Trump administration's policy of seeking to cut Iranian oil exports to zero.   Tehran has threatened to abandon some of its commitments under the nuclear deal unless the remaining partners -- Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia -- help it circumvent US sanctions, especially on oil sales.
Date: Sun 2 Jun 2019
Source: Tehran Times [edited]
<https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/436611/Health-ministry-warns-about-Crimean-Congo-fever-prevalence>

Since the beginning of the current Iranian calendar year [21 Mar 2019], 12 people have been diagnosed with Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever and 2 of them lost their lives, said Mohammad Mahdi Guya, the Director of Communicable Diseases Department at the Ministry of Health, ISNA reported on [Sat 1 Jun 2019].

The prevalence of Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever in the country has decreased to half in comparison to the same period during the last year, however the disease happens more in hot weather hence more precise statistics will be revealed in late summer, he explained.  The disease was spotted in the cities of Iranshahr, Zabol, Kermanshah, and Bandar Abbas as well as Gilan province, he said.  Those who work in slaughterhouses or keep livestock at their home and those who live in rural places are more endangered, he said.

The virus is primarily transmitted to people from ticks and livestock animals. Human-to-human transmission can occur resulting from close contact with the blood, secretions, organs, or other bodily fluids of infected persons.

The contact with meat which is frozen for more than 24 hours does not transmit the virus, he explained.  He also warned about nurses and medical staff who may [care for] a patient with Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, he said.  Well-cooked meat does not transmit the virus, however, eating raw meat may transmit the virus, he warned.

According to health ministry, annually, some 100 to 150 cases of Crimean-Congo fever are reported in Iran.

According to World Health Organization, the Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever virus causes severe viral hemorrhagic fever outbreaks. The CCHF is a widespread disease caused by a tick-borne virus. The CCHF virus causes severe viral hemorrhagic fever outbreaks, with a case fatality rate of 10-40 percent.
======================
[The report above mentions Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) case numbers for 2019, beginning 21 Mar 2019 according to the Iranian calendar. Iran is one of the countries where CCHF has been endemic for many years and cases are reported form many provinces on a regular basis.

CCHF is a tick-borne zoonotic disease with high case fatality rates in humans and the potential to cause outbreaks. Of the epidemic-prone diseases prioritised by the WHO Research & Development (R&D) Blueprint; CCHF is the most widespread, found in around 30 countries across Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and the Indian subcontinent and is expected to continue to expand its range (<https://www.who.int/blueprint/priority-diseases/key-action/crimean-congo-haemorrhagic-fever/en/>).

Although this roadmap focuses on the development of new or improved products and medical 36 countermeasures, other public health preparedness actions are also critical for successful prevention of CCHF epidemics. Foremost amongst these is the need for regional, national, and international surveillance, reporting not only human CCHF cases but also monitoring tick and animal reservoirs for evidence of CCHFV or seroconversion. This will require agreements and mechanisms 40 for data sharing in real time and cooperation and coordination between the human, animal, and environmental health sectors for the good of public-health disease control. - ProMED Mod.UBA]

[HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Iran:
<http://healthmap.org/promed/p/128>]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:32:13 +0200

London, May 17, 2019 (AFP) - London warned British-Iranian dual nationals against all travel to Iran on Friday due to Tehran's "continued arbitrary detention and mistreatment" of such citizens.   The move comes as Britain continues to try to secure the release from jail of dual national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.   Tehran has also recently sentenced an Iranian British Council employee, Aras Amiri, to 10 years in prison on charges of spying.   In a statement, the Foreign Office said British-Iranian dual nationals faced an "unacceptably higher risk of arbitrary detention and mistreatment" than nationals of other countries.   "The security forces may be suspicious of people with British connections, including those with links to institutions based in the UK, or which receive public funds from, or have perceived links to, the British government," the statement said.   British-Iranian mother Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested by Iranian authorities in 2016 as she was leaving Tehran.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who worked for the Thomson Reuters Foundation, was put on trial and is now serving a five-year jail sentence for allegedly trying to topple the Iranian government.   "Dual nationals face an intolerable risk of mistreatment if they visit Iran," Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said.   "Despite the UK providing repeated opportunities to resolve this issue, the Iranian regime's conduct has worsened.   "Having exhausted all other options, I must now advise all British-Iranian dual nationals against travelling to Iran.   "The dangers they face include arbitrary detention and lack of access to basic legal rights, as we have seen in the case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who has been separated from her family since 2016."   The Iranian government does not recognise dual nationality, meaning the Foreign Office's ability to provide consular support is limited.   Hunt added: "Regrettably, I must also offer a message of caution to Iranian nationals resident in the UK -- but who return to visit family and friends -- especially where the Iranian government may perceive them to have personal links to UK institutions or the British government."
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 13:09:03 +0200

Tehran, April 8, 2019 (AFP) - Iranian authorities on Monday evacuated patients from a hospital threatened by floodwaters in the southwestern city of Ahvaz, the semi-official news agency ISNA reported.   Iran has been hit by several weeks of unprecedented flooding across most of the usually arid country that has killed 70 people, according to the emergency services.   On Monday, authorities were battling to prevent floods reaching Ahvaz, which is the capital of Khuzestan province and home to about 1.3 million people.   The advancing waters sparked fears that a hospital on the city's northern outskirts would be submerged after the nearby Karkheh river burst its banks.   "Salamat hospital has been evacuated and all patients transferred to Golestan hospital on the orders of the crisis management authorities due to the risk of the hospital being flooded," the head of Golestan hospital, Meysam Moazi, told ISNA.

The huge floods have forced authorities to release water from one of the largest dams in the area, which has left some of the cities downstream under threat.   A "significant amount" of floodwater from Karkheh started moving toward Ahvaz on Sunday, according to city mayor Mansour Katanbaf.   "We've been trying to manage the water ... most of it has been diverted toward other channels and what's left is being handled," Katanbaf told ISNA.   Authorities ordered the evacuation of six new cities along the Karkheh river on Saturday as the situation neared "critical" status.   According to ISNA, a total of 210 villages along the river have been evacuated, 61 of which are now flooded.   Flooding swamped northeast Iran in mid March before spreading to the west and southwest of the country later in the month.   Heavy rains brought more floods to the west and southwest at the start of April.   The flooding has caused damage worth 150 trillion Iranian rials -- more than $1 billion at the free market rate, according to an official estimate given by lawmaker Mehrdad Lahooti.
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 12:19:38 +0200

Tehran, April 6, 2019 (AFP) - Iranian authorities ordered the evacuation of six cities along the Karkheh river in southwestern Khuzestan province on Saturday after more rain sparked fears of new flooding, state news agency IRNA said.   Six cities alongside Karkheh river in southwestern Iran "must be evacuated as soon as possible," Khuzestan governor Gholamreza Shariati told IRNA.   The oil-rich province of Khuzestan has an extensive range of dams, which have swelled upstream due to fresh downpours.

The floodwater's intensity has forced authorities to open emergency discharges at Karkheh dam, one of the largest in the area, thus sparking fears of fresh flooding.   The situation appears to be "critical", he said.   "We advise all women and children to be evacuated to shelters and youngsters to remain and help," he added.

Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli warned that up to 400,000 people in Khuzestan could be exposed to the floods, IRNA reported.   Iran, a usually arid country, has been hit by unprecedented flooding across most of the country since mid-March with 70 people killed, according to the country's emergency services.   Heavy rain was forecast for Saturday in Khuzestan.

The country's northeast was swamped on March 19 before the west and southwest of the country were inundated on March 25, killing a total of 45 people.   On April 1 the west and southwest were again swamped by floods when heavy rains returned to the area.   The government said the flooding had damaged nearly 12,000 kilometres (7,500 miles) of roads, or 36 percent of the country's entire network.   The worst hit in the latest deluge was Lorestan Province where in some cities whole neighbourhoods were washed away and many villages are still cut off.    Fourteen deaths have been reported from Lorestan so far.
More ...