Manila, Nov 20, 2019 (AFP) - Philippine police were ordered Wednesday to arrest anyone caught vaping in public, just hours after Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced he would ban e-cigarettes. The abrupt prohibition, revealed by Duterte late Tuesday adds to a growing global backlash against a product once promoted as less harmful than tobacco smoking.
Duterte, a former smoker, called the devices "toxic" and said vaping introduced "chemicals" into the user's body. He ordered the arrest of anyone vaping publicly in a country that already has some of Asia's toughest anti-smoking rules. No formal, written order has been made public that spells out the scope of the ban or penalties for violations. Duterte is notorious internationally for his deadly anti-narcotics crackdown, but he has also targeted tobacco with a wide-ranging ban on smoking in public. Citing "the order of the president", on Wednesday a statement from the head of the Philippine police ordered "effective today, all police units nationwide to enforce the ban on use of vapes; ensure that all violators will be arrested".
The ban came days after Philippine health authorities reported the nation's first vaping-related lung injury, which resulted in a 16-year-old girl being hospitalised. Vaping has taken off in the Philippines, with speciality shops and vapers puffing away in public a common sight. E-cigarette users were caught off guard by the ban and questioned the utility of arresting people who, at worst, were hurting themselves. "It's inappropriate. In any case, we don't hurt people, the environment or animals," said 22-year-old student Alexis Martin. "Why are vapers being targeted?"
E-cigarettes warm flavoured liquid to produce vapour that is free of the estimated 7,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke, but does contain a number of substances that could potentially be harmful. Critics say that apart from being harmful in themselves, the multiple exotic flavours of e-cigarette liquids appeal particularly to youngsters and risk getting them addicted to nicotine.
The devices have become hugely popular in the past decade but a rash of vaping-linked deaths and illnesses in the United States is feeding caution about the product, already banned in some places. In September 2019 India became the latest country to ban the import, sale, production and advertising of e-cigarettes, citing in particular concerns for its youth. The devices are already banned in several places such as Brazil, Singapore, Thailand and the US state of Massachusetts.
The Department of Health (DOH) said that the 4th confirmed polio case in the country was a 3-year-old girl from Sultan Kudarat. Health Undersecretary Rolando Enrique Domingo said that the girl visited the Maguindanao province for a month but is actually a resident of Sultan Kudarat. "It is uncertain where the virus came from in the 2 areas," said Domingo in an interview. The health official also noted that the girl did not receive an oral polio vaccine.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III confirmed the 4th polio case in the Philippines in a statement Tuesday [5 Nov 2019] evening. "The test conducted by our Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and the National Institute of Infectious Disease - Japan confirms the 4th polio case in the country," he said.
Last week, the health department confirmed the 3rd polio case that involved a 4-year-old girl from Datu Piang in Maguindanao. In September , 2 confirmed cases of polio were also reported -- a 3-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur and a 5-year-old boy from Laguna. "At present, the DOH is implementing a targeted vaccination campaign for all children aged below 5 years old in the municipalities of the 3rd and 4th cases," said Duque. Moreover, the health chief reminded parents on the 2nd round of polio immunization campaign, which will cover the whole of Mindanao starting [25 Nov 2019].
"We can defeat polio, but we need the public to trust and actively participate in our immunization programs," said Duque. Duque reiterated that the best way to prevent the polio disease is through vaccination. "Handwashing will also help in the prevention," he added. [Byline: Analou De Vera]
[First, apologies are due. Yesterday's post originally erroneously identified the known location of this 4th case to be Maguindanao, due to an editing error, as Mindanao is not considered a first administrative region. As it turns out, it is unclear where the actual transmission of the virus occurred -- either Maguindanao or Sultan Kudarat, both areas in the southern part of the Philippines -- in Mindanao.
Not surprisingly, the profile of the case is a never-vaccinated child.
Manila, Oct 31, 2019 (AFP) - A powerful earthquake struck the southern Philippines on Thursday, killing at least four people and sparking searches of seriously damaged buildings that had already been rattled by two previous deadly tremors in recent weeks.
The 6.5 magnitude quake hit the island of Mindanao, the US Geological Survey said, causing locals to run to safety in the same area where a strong tremor killed eight people on Tuesday. The powerful shaking caused serious damage to a condominium building in the major southern city of Davao, which was about 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the epicentre.
At least nine people were hurt at the building, and rescuers had launched a search to determine if residents might be trapped inside, police told AFP. Four people were killed in nearby Cotabato province by the quake, including a local official who was crushed to death, a police official said. A hotel partially collapsed in another area, but a disaster official said the building had already been evacuated.
Locals have been left terrified by a string of powerful quakes, and hundreds of aftershocks since the first powerful tremor struck on October 16. "I panicked and I rushed outside. I was afraid the building might collapse," said Beth Lancian, a restaurant cashier in Davao. "There's been an earthquake almost every week." President Rodrigo Duterte was in his hometown of Davao when the shaking began, but his spokesman said he was unharmed. Some 12,000 people were already in shelters on Mindanao island before Thursday's quake hit, the government said, either because their homes have been destroyed or they were too afraid to return to their residences.
- Landslides and debris - The Philippines suffers regular tremors as part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an arc of intense seismic activity that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin. In the 6.6 magnitude quake on Tuesday, a teenage boy was crushed by a falling wall as he tried to escape his school in Magsaysay, the town spokesman told AFP.
Rock and landslides unleashed by the violent shaking killed four others, while a collapsed wall crushed a man, authorities said. Nearly 400 people were hurt, including some seven pupils and teachers hurt escaping their collapsed elementary school. The area was still suffering the effects of a 6.4-magnitude quake that hit less than two weeks ago, killing at least five people and damaging dozens of buildings.
Residents fled homes across the Mindanao region and a mall caught fire in the city of General Santos shortly after the quake struck on October 16. Hundreds of people were still displaced two weeks after that quake when the second one struck earlier this week, forcing thousands more from their homes.
One of the deadliest quakes to hit the Philippines recently was in April, when 16 people were killed as a building near the capital Manila collapsed and the secondary Clark airport was shut down after damage to the passenger terminal. High-rise structures in the capital swayed after the April quake, leaving some with large cracks in their walls.
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 11:15:41 +0100 (MET) By Ron LOPEZ
Manila, Oct 29, 2019 (AFP) - A powerful earthquake struck the southern Philippines Tuesday, killing six people, cracking buildings and injuring dozens in a region still reeling from a previous deadly tremor. Terrified locals ran into the streets after the 6.6-magnitude quake, which hit the island of Mindanao as schools and offices opened for the day. The shaking lasted up to a minute in some areas, damaging homes, multi-storey buildings and classrooms in a region where hundreds are still displaced by a quake that killed at least five earlier this month.
The Philippines suffers regular tremors as part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an arc of intense seismic activity that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin. A teenage boy was crushed by a falling wall as he tried to escape his school in Magsaysay, the town spokesman told AFP. Though other students were injured in a "stampede" to escape the building, they survived. Rock and landslides unleashed by the violent shaking killed four others, while a collapsed wall crushed a man, authorities said.
At least 50 people were hurt by falling debris, including some seven pupils and teachers hurt escaping their collapsed elementary school. Locals were awed by the power of the quake, which was shallow and thus potentially more destructive. "Buildings were not just moving, they were swaying," Gadi Sorilla, a doctor at a hospital in Tulunan, a town about 25 kilometres (15 miles) from the epicentre told AFP. "I asked God for help," he said, adding the hospital had quickly received about 10 patients, some with head injuries.
- Hundreds still displaced - Tulunan's mayor Reuel Limbungan said the local municipal hall had been heavily damaged and authorities had received "lots of reports of injuries". Rescue teams worked until dark on Tuesday to assess the damage to the region, where electricity and phone services were knocked out in some areas by the power of the quake.
The US Geological Survey said the initial 6.6 magnitude quake was followed by a number of smaller shakes, including one measuring 5.8. The continuing tremors were causing anxiety on the ground, with people refusing to go back inside buildings for fear of being caught in any resulting collapse. Schools across the area have been shuttered as a precaution. The area is still suffering the effects of a 6.4-magnitude quake that hit less than two weeks ago, killing at least five people and damaging dozens of buildings.
Residents fled homes across the Mindanao region and a mall caught fire in the city of General Santos shortly after the quake struck on October 16. "We still have 570 individuals in evacuation centres (from the previous quake) and with this quake, we are expecting more evacuees," said Zaldy Ortiz, an officer with a local emergency rescue team. One of the deadliest quakes to hit the Philippines recently was in April, when 16 people were killed as a building near the capital Manila collapsed and the secondary Clark airport was shut down due to damage to the passenger terminal. High-rise structures in the capital swayed after the April quake, leaving some with large cracks in their walls.
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:37:14 +0200 (METDST)
Manila, Oct 17, 2019 (AFP) - Five people were killed and dozens were injured after a powerful earthquake hit the southern Philippines, authorities said Thursday. The 6.4-magnitude quake struck the Mindanao region on Wednesday night, reducing dozens of houses to rubble on the southern third of the Philippines. On Thursday afternoon, authorities said five people were killed and 53 injured, mainly in a cluster of small farming towns. Three people were killed in landslides while another was crushed by the collapsed wall of a house. The fifth suffered a fatal heart attack, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said. No fatalities were reported in Mindanao's major cities. Local authorities had earlier told AFP three children were among the dead. The Philippine seismology office has recorded more than 300 weaker aftershocks in the area since the big quake, but authorities said they do not expect the toll to rise significantly.
The disaster council's spokesman Mark Timbal told local television it had not received any reports of missing people from any of the quake-hit areas. "People have returned home... They are OK now, unlike last night when they were terrified and slept on roads beside their homes," Zaldy Ortiz, civil defence officer of Magsaysay town, told AFP. Local school and government holidays were announced in Magsaysay, where the landslides struck, to allow building inspectors to check structures for damage, Ortiz added. Power was being restored in the bigger cities, but there was substantial damage to some hospitals, government buildings, schools, churches and houses in the small towns, the council said in a report. In General Santos City, firefighters on Thursday finally put out a blaze that started at a shopping mall shortly after the quake. The Philippines is part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an arc of intense seismic activity that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin.