Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:49:20 +0100 (MET) LISBON, Dec 21 (AFP) - The European Union will give Sao Tome and Principe one million euros (1.2 million dollars) to help the west African island nation fight a two-month-old cholera outbreak that has claimed 25 lives, the Lusa news agency reported Wednesday. The head of the bloc's mission in the former Portuguese colony, Bernard Francois, announced the aid following a meeting Tuesday with Sao Tome's Prime Minister Maria do Carmo Silveira, it said. The funds will be used mostly to improve the quality of drinking water in the archipelago of just over 180,000 people, Lusa quoted Benoit as saying. The money will be channeled through the Portuguese branch of Doctors of the World, an international health and human rights non-governmental organization. Cholera causes severe diarrhoea that can lead to dehydration and death, hitting young children hardest. It is spread through contaminated water and food, and is often tied to bad sanitation. Last week a riot broke out in the archipelago's capital Sao Tome after police tried to enforce a ban on the sale of food at a street market, Lusa said. The disease has spread to most areas of the main island of Sao Tome but not yet hit the smaller island of Principe to the northeast, it said.
Date: Fri 2 Dec 2005 From: Alfonso Rodriguez Source: Reuters News [edited] --------------------------------------------------- A cholera epidemic on the tiny African island of Sao Tome has struck 714 people, killing 17, since October 2005, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Fri 2 Dec 2005. "The number of cases has doubled in the past 2 weeks. It is extremely worrying," a UNICEF spokesman said. Some 30 per cent of those affected are under 14. Cholera is endemic on the volcanic island in the Gulf of Guinea off West Africa. An outbreak in May 2005 claimed 3 lives among 255 people hit by the disease, which is spread through contaminated water and food, causing severe dehydration due to diarrhea. UNICEF, which is supplying clean water to affected areas and latrines, is also considering a government request to deploy its own health experts in hospitals due to the limited number of staff doctors, the spokesman said. It has also helped to launch a radio campaign broadcasting simple prevention measures for the population to take, such as boiling water before use. Nearly a 5th of Sao Tome's people have no access to safe drinking water, and just 9 per cent use hygienic toilet facilities, according to UNICEF.
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:28:39 +0100 (MET) LISBON, Nov 28 (AFP) - Portugal has given its former colony Sao Tome and Principe 37 tons of medical supplies to help the west African island nation fight a deadly cholera outbreak, the Lusa news agency reported Monday. The aid worth 142,000 euros (166,000 dollars) was delivered to Sao Tome's Health Minister Eduardo Neto on Friday, the agency reported citing Portuguese officials on the archipelago, where some 20 people have died of cholera since last month. Local authorities have urged islanders to avoid using untreated water and eating uncooked foods to guard against the disease, which causes severe diarrhoea that can lead to dehydration and death, hitting children hardest. In April a cholera outbreak in the nation of just over 180,000 affected nearly 200 people, killing three. Nearly 20 percent of the population of Sao Tome lacks access to safe drinking water and only nine percent use safe toilet facilities, according to UNICEF (UN Children's Fund).
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2005 From: ProMED-mail Source: XinHuaNet.com [edited] The month-old cholera epidemic in Sao Tome has claimed 9 lives and struck nearly 300 people, a health official from the West African archipelago said Tue, 8 Nov 2005. According to reports, coordinator of the epidemic's emergency team Manuel Carvalho said 126 new cholera cases and 5 deaths from the disease had been registered during the past 8 days, raising totals to 292 cases and 9 fatalities. Carvalho said all districts of Sao Tome Island are affected, but the outlying island of Principe remains untouched. Authorities have urged the islanders to avoid using untreated water and uncooked foods and to destroy garbage and trash. An earlier epidemic in April affected about 200 people and took 3 lives in the country.
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:53:11 +0100 (MET) LISBON, Nov 8 (AFP) - The death toll from a cholera outbreak that erupted in Sao Tome and Principe in early October has risen to nine from four last week, the Lusa news agency reported Tuesday citing a senior health official in the west African island nation. A total of 126 new cholera cases have been registered over the past week in the former Portuguese colony, bringing the total number of cases to 292, said the coordinator of the government's disease response team, Manuel Carvalho. The outbreak has so far been limited to Sao Tome, the archipelago's main island, where it has affected all districts, Lusa quoted him as saying. Local authorities have urged islanders to avoid using untreated water and eating uncooked foods to guard against the disease, which causes severe diarrhoea that can lead to dehydration and death, hitting children hardest. In April a cholera outbreak in the nation of just over 180,000 affected nearly 200 people, killing three. Nearly 20 percent of the population of Sao Tome lacks access to safe drinking water and only nine percent use safe toilet facilities, according to UNICEF, the United Nation's children's agency.